Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Mini Mish Mash

.
.
1. I apologize that I am behind in visiting my favorite blogs. I am working overtime doing this and that because on Sunday I will begin a week's vacation in Aruba. This will be my second trip there, where the weather is a predictable 84 degrees every day and the vibrant and varied shades of blue include lizards and iguanas and frozen smoothies.
.
I am going with JB, Jess, her mother-in-law, her best friend, and Mr. Ryan. And for a few days my SIL Mike. My plan is to fall asleep by the pool, float in the ocean, read a couple of books, float en mass on the lazy river (awesome) maybe write some, eat, and all around frolic with totally wonderful people.
.
.
When I told my clients I will be away, several of them said "Again?" How come it doesn't feel like 'again' to me? To me it feels like, ah, a well deserved week in the sun.
..
.

.
.

2. I think I got this idea from Martha Stewart: when you are painting a room, write the paint colors and paint numbers on the wall next to a light switch. When you put the switch cover back on, it won't be seen and you will have an easy peasy way to remember what paint you used.

.

3. Two of my favorite phrases: "Wag more, bark less" & "Never cut what can be untied"

.

.
.
.
4. This barn is part of the voc tech high school near my house. I took this photo last year in late April or early May. I love the way the light looks in those months, to me it's transparent and fresh.
.
.
.
.
5. This book of mine is still not getting the promotional attention from me that it needs and deserves, but today I came across a review on Amazon that made my day. I love it when the book touches someone I don't know in the way I so hoped for while I was writing it.
.
.
Bailey, who ever you are, thank you so much.
.
.
I love this book, February 8, 2010
By Bailey
.
This is not your run-of-mill love story. It is a love story that is different from any other that I have read. Truly original.
.
Alex and Lily's story is told with class and charm. I won't spoil the story for you by revealing too much plot. I will tell you that I reread the last 20 pages four or five times and that tears were shed each time.
.
I picked up the book and couldn't put it down until it was finished. It only took a few hours to read but I'm sure the story will stay with me for a good, long time.

.
Do yourself a favor and read "The Light Stays On". It is a rare gem.
.
.
6. Have you ever tried saving just $ 20 bills? I had a piggy bank that couldn't be opened without breaking it in pieces. Once and sometimes twice a month I put my first $ 20 in that bank and I only put in 20's, nothing smaller. When I finally cracked it open, I had $ 2200. Honest to God. Two thousand two hundred dollars.
.
.
I am a big fan of saving even small amounts and letting them accumulate. These days I still save 20's, tucked into a paperback book in my office bookshelf. I save the bills, spend them, and then save again and spend again and save again. It is my secret slush fund, there for me on a whim or in a jam.
.
.
6. One of my clients is a ten year old girl who was bullied last year because she is large and overweight for her age and because her hair is wild. I see her at school where we meet in the Anger Management Room because it is the only spot available. There is no furniture in it so we sit on the floor, talk, play checkers, sometimes draw or make up stories.
.
Last week we were talking about being angry and ways to express it. I chuckled, looked around the empty padded room, and said, "Wouldn't it be great if we had a dozen eggs when we were mad and we could just throw them at the wall?"
.
She chuckled back and didn't miss a beat. "Yeah," she said, "but then this would be the Egger Management room!"
.
I love my clients....
.
.
Have a good day, friends. And please keep praying for Renee. Pray for her comfort. Pray for her family. And pray for those of us who have to let her go.
.
Love
.
kj

28 comments:

  1. I just enjoyed reading this and your last post - both thoroughly entertaining kj! I do hope you have a wonderful, relaxing holiday - you deserve it!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this 'mini mish mash' and I wish you a safe and happy time away from it all.

    xx Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a lovely holiday in Aruba, KJ- I will be thinking of you over here in Puerto Rico. Your MMM was fun to read, and I have to remember that MS paint number trick. I hope your book gets more attention! I want to read it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trip sounds glorious... and I love all the "blue" stuff. Take an ocean float for me, will you?

    What a great Amazon review! I'd be tickled pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely lovely relaxing warm cozy fun time in Aruba! enjoy your loved ones, enjoy the beach.

    love the "egger management" quote - clever gal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi kj! What a great MMM. I love these little tidbits, they are like word tapas! :) And your book sounds wonderful. You and I will have to chat some day about the marketing stuff. LOL! I really stink at it. Have a wonderful, lazy time on your trip. Soak up that vitamin D. And Renee is always in my thoughts and prayers. I am having a hard time letting go. I miss her. Hugs to you - xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I earn a well deserved week in the sun I will join you on a vacation kj, until then I guess I will simply keep on my low and slow pace of life. Travel Well (again)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy you're going to bob in the water for a week!
    I love it when you get to have family time too, unfettered.

    A week without talking to you on the phone? Hmmm, that will be the first in a year! That means we'll have a lot to catch up on then. I like that.

    hey, that Martha Stewart is a smart cookie! I love that tip.

    And the Egger Management Room~ most troubled folks are creative. Look at me! :P

    And you! Oh wait, you're not troubled, you're a trouble maker!

    I have to get ready for my first studio guest today. I hope we get some art done. I had to come by and say hello first though!

    it will all get done KJ. Think of floating in that glorious turquoise water and let your trouble go ;)

    xoxoxoxo
    lo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're awesome, KJ!

    Prays always going out to Renee, her loving family and all of us in Bloggyland that love and will miss her.

    xoxo,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. caroline, so so nice to see you back here. thank you for thinking i deserve a week in the sun. i will make the most of it. ps saw your IF this morning, wow!

    ribbon, ♥

    cynthia, thank you for everything. you live in the environment i'm headed too! xoxo

    barbara, you've given me and my camera an idea. i am going to search out all things blue on the island. xoxox

    mim, ♥

    pam, yes! let's chat and compare notes. i still have to see your books, and i definitely will. as for renee, damn damn damn. xoxo

    mark, you are so clever (again) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lo, begone trouble! get lost! take a short walk off a long pier!

    HAHAHA, how does that sound? i'm a vacation expert. i know how to relax and have a good time. ps i hope you miss me next week but please try not to find a replacement on craig's list (heehee)

    cat, you're awesome too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. KJ, wonderful news that you will soon be floating in turquoise waters and basking in the warm rays of sunshine (with a yummy drink - complete with mini-umbrella in hand)! Don't forget the sun bloc!

    Enjoy this sweet time with JB and your family.....it is well deserved.

    We all will miss you and we will keep watch over Renee so...

    RELAX, DREAM - ok!

    ♥ Robin ♥ (in still rainy San Francisco)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww...toasting your tootsies in the turquoise water. Heaven!

    Curaco, Bonaire and Aruba were favorite haunts of mine in the early 70's. I've never seen so many flamingos in one place.

    Love 'Egger Management'. It warms my heart to know your special caring is flowing over so many badly damaged young lives.

    Renee leaves a hole in our lives and a ring around our hearts. How do you hurt and heal at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you all have a wonderful rejuvinating time in the sun, sand, and palm trees swaying in the wind.
    Thanks for all the wonderful tips (mishmash?).
    You will be missed, but I am so glad you will be feeding your soul.
    ♥Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. robin, i know i will want to check in some time next week because of renee. i've struggled with whether or not to bring my laptop for blogging and writing and decided against it. but i hope i can find a quick connection. take care, robin! xoxo

    linda, i think the healing can't start until we lose renee, until we know her spirit has left this earthly plane. i miss her too; it is very hard sometimes. then i think about her children and jacquie and that is so sad and unfair. okay, unfair is not the best word but, really, it is so difficult to lose this Mother and sister. thanks for wishing me a turquoise filled week. ♥

    marie, i hope your week now and ahead settles down nicely. sometimes it's just hard to catch your breath, and i hope you have. i will like visiting you when i'm back, although you might here from me once or twice before i even leave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you have a wonderful, fun, warm and well-deserved vacation

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, congrats on the grand review of your book! Second I am so jealous that you get to go away again and to the beach! That water looks so good. I have not been away for over a year, not even to Santa Fe, this has to change! Have a great, wonderful time and kiss that beach for me, why lay by the pool when you have the beach? Just wondering? We will miss you!
    Stay safe and misbehave a little.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you suki,and i hope you have a grand time on the cape. i hope the house visits are more exciting than stressful.

    annie, the book review made me jump in the air, like catching a star! i lounge at the beach too, but for some reason i've always loved lying by the pool, jumping in, jumping out, sipping a drink, jumping in and out again. and then falling into lunch and starting all over again. time for santa fe, annie! i hope a gallery finds you pronto! love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A mish mash is a great idea, i loved reading this kj!
    A holiday!? oh enjoy every single second, how exciting.
    And your book review, that is so well deserved.
    sending love :)
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. lori, tsup! mwah! smooch! i can only imagine what you and your camera would uncover on the island of aruba. you should see the cemetary--colors everywhere! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a terrible saver, then I'm not a crack earner either but I'm going to try the $20 a 'week' rather than a 'month' thing, might just work if I can avoid raiding the piggy bank! And don't worry about being late, it's my middle name these days! Aruba! ArUUUUBA! Lucky duck.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aaaah, get some sand 'tween your toes for me, okay?
    I haven't had sandy toes for quite some time.
    Loved this post,,,,our cups runneth over with happy.
    (and twenties)
    HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really loved reading this, I hope you enjoy your time off as it sounds idyllic in the extreme!
    When my kids were small we had a "screaming tree" in the yard where they could go and shout when they were angry, before that we had a tantrum mat which they could jump up and down on when they were too little to get the tree! Now, they tialk to me about it all. Sigh. xx for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful post Kj all though I'm so jealous of you heading to Arauba... no really I know you deserve this! Just have a wonderful blissful holiday.

    I know I should have done this before... but going to look at your book on Amazon right now! What a GREAT review!

    Much love ~Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  25. hells, i think the trick is a piggy bank that you have to break to get the money. xoxox

    babs, you are such a great spirit. i always feel good when i hear from you. xoxo tsup!

    sag, OMG, why don't i have a screaming tree and a tantum mat?! great ideas! really... :) xxoxo

    pattee, i have alot to do before i hop on that plane. i'm also wondering if i can lose 25 pounds before sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hells, i think the trick is a piggy bank that you have to break to get the money. xoxox

    babs, you are such a great spirit. i always feel good when i hear from you. xoxo tsup!

    sag, OMG, why don't i have a screaming tree and a tantum mat?! great ideas! really... :) xxoxo

    pattee, i have alot to do before i hop on that plane. i'm also wondering if i can lose 25 pounds before sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That review was fantastic! But, you know, just truth.

    I hate to admit I like any idea Martha Stewart has, but that is a good idea. And I need to go get a piggy bank - it would be fun to make it a purely-luxury savings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tsup*!* Enjoy your break from the egger management room ;)

    ReplyDelete