Monday, November 29, 2010

Wishes & Dreams for the Holidays....

Last year we raised $ 465 together, most of it to help a four year old angel child I call Angelina whose mother had abandoned her, and a 13 year old great kid who wanted acting lessons and ended up with that and ski lessons thanks to the generosity of my friends and visitors here.



This year I am again asking for help. This year I have arranged for any money raised to be funneled into an anonymous fund for one of my clients, a 19 year old high school senior who is working her ass off to get to college.



She shows up at school every day, this year taking several college prep courses and one advanced placement class that is very difficult for her. I saw her last week and she was wearing a new black leather coat that made her look very fashionable and very pretty.



She was close to tears because she had borrowed the coat from her older sister who accused her of being disrespectful by wearing it. "I don't have a good coat of my own," she said. "I just borrowed it for one day so I could look good today because I had a job interview and she called me disrespectful. That is the worse thing anyone could accuse me of."



Her name is Z and she is soley responsible for herself. She gets no money from her father, no rides to school, no help with clothes or books or food. She hears from her mother maybe once a year, and when her mother does make contact she is never drug free and is most often asking for money for herself.



Z worked all summer so she can support herself during the school year. She resourcefully saved to buy an old car which she sees as her salvation so she can get to and from school and work. She lived with her father until his girlfriend told her to leave, and now she lives with a boyfriend who she knows is not good for her, he is too verbally explosive, but he's at least present. "Sometimes he actually cares about me. And I have to stay there for now," she tells me.



She will be applying to college in a couple of months and we have hope that she will be accepted into a program that helps urban kids prepare and succeed. We have hope that she will get a housing scholarship. She will be the first and only member of her family to go to college and she is determined to do that. Academics do not come easy for her, but she is determined.



She has a hard time trusting adults for good reason. But lately she is letting herself cry in therapy, starting to realize that she has not had the luxury of trusting anyone. We call ourselves Team Z, we and her guidance counselor and one other adult from an Outward Bound Program. If it sounds incomprehensible that a high school student would be on her own like this, I agree. But it's true.



"I show up for school everyday and I try to look like everyone else. I don't want anyone knowing that I don't have anyone to help me like most of the other kids do."



This week Z is praying hard that she will be offered the job at the gas station across the street from school. "I NEED that job, kj" she tells me. And I know that is true too.



So this year I am asking for help for Z. Contributions will go directly toward giving her a little bit of breathing room, $$ for college applications, will provide a plan B back door so she can leave her boyfriend and perhaps rent a small room somewhere.



Honestly I want to raise $ 1000. I will start by contributing $ 100 myself.



I will appreciate any effort to spread the word beyond my own blog. I told Z I plan to be at her college graduation. It won't be easy for her, but she is determined. I am totally convinced that any support given to her will be repaid by the strength of her efforts.


.
Please help if you can. Last year we had direct contributions, art auctions and give aways, pay pal transfers. You will find a 'Donate' button on my sidebar where credit cards can be used, or paypal, or feel free to email me at karenjasper@comcast.net
.
And please, if you cannot afford $, your wishes and prayers count just as much. There is magic in our blogs this time of year. Offer a kind word or do a kind act for someone else and I assure you that will come around also to help Z. I've come to believe that the universe works that way.
.
Always, thank you. It is my privilege to be able to even ask.
.
Love
kj

24 comments:

  1. Tell me how to transfer something via pay pal and I will happily do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lynn, i just set up a paypal account you can use. you'll find the donation button at the top of my side bar. and thank you, lynn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so moving. I thank you for being such a beautiful, caring person KJ and I hope and pray that all dreams of that little girl come tur and that she emerges all the more stronger from this hard life. Sometimes adverse circumstances give us an inner strength, at times they break us..I hope the kid wins all the way. My prayers for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in. Plus christmas clothes for Angelina right? are we still on for that????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kj,
    Z is a lucky girl to have you on her side. Please tell her how AMAZING she is and that people she doesn't even know care about her because she is worth caring about. I wish I could be sitting at her graduation and see her on her way to college and a life full of choices she makes, not made for her. HUGE hugs to her...and to you.

    xoxo

    Linda

    LOVE the sheep. What great pics.
    Silly you, hamming it up for the camera!

    (Don't trash the house with the tree lights... ;>)...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. KJB, I am mailing you a check today.....a small one, but it comes from my heart...and I hope it will help "Z" begin to start a new and better chapter in her life.

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a little money from my last sale saved from this, but would also like to offer a small painting, I can offer it on my blog or you can offer it here. Please let me know. I will be saying prayers for Z, what a strong, brave girl. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK no worries, I'll get on it later today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. budh.aah, thank you very much. the pleasure is mine to be able to help and give back. i have received many many acts of kindness in my life. &heartts;

    aww mim, thank you thank you. about angelina, she is not in need due to her foster family. but her brothers are, as well as adult client i have who lacks clothes. i will email you. your heart is filled with grace, mim. xoxo

    aww linda, you stinker! thank you so much. i laughed outloud over your comment about me and the christmas lights. ***&&%%$#@!!! this year i'm prepared to fling them out the front door :)

    annie, how very kind of you, thank you. how about you offer the small painting on your blog (are you going to have bids and auction it? that worked well last year). and i will link your post about it here

    robin, thank you. i wil be just as happy to see your handwriting in my mailbox as to appreciate your help. xoxo

    honeyhells, ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Kj..Some months back I donated an ACEO for gulf support and I was thinking perhaps I could do the same here.I will create one this week and let you know when I will set up the auction on EBAY.I think Z is so lucky to have you and I feel so thankful just to know you.
    Now I have to add that tonight I had a chance to read back on some of your posts I missed and I was so thrilled to see your photo..almost made me come to tears,..I feel so blessed to have met you sweet Kj and it was a true joy to see your heart in your eyes.Its beautiful.Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  11. cat, that is so WONDERFUL. thank you so much. you know, it's fun for me to see what will happen here, who is so kind to do what. what a great tribe we are here.
    thank you. and for your kindest words about me: triple thank you! my photo cat: hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll do what i can kj, i'll try to donate and for sure i'll pray. Things like this just shouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I'm in, kj, I will donate either today or tomorrow. Thanks for making it so easy.

    What a brave, courageous girl. When I was on my own at seventeen (after graduating) I was scared witless. This girl has her act together enough to go to school AND live, basically, on her own.I would feel very happy to help her get to college!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lori, any gesture counts, doesn't need to be money. and to you a hundred thank you's for a hundred reasons ♥

    marion sweet friend! we did this last year too. how nice and thank you. i am thinking of you these days: tis the season ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. That brave girl. I'll try to be creative in thinking of a way to help.
    That's so typical of unselfish, loving you to be a champion for her cause.

    xoxo
    Love,
    Lo♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. lo, we both understand.....
    love ♥ love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  17. kj I have no money to spare right now, you know that.
    But I do have some cute clothes that are too small for me.
    What size and how tall is she, email me.
    I also posted the foundation in my side bar. I hope this helps, I so wish I could do more.
    Love and hugs Ms.Clause

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope all comes good for her a little something via paypal will be sent her way Tsup*!*

    ReplyDelete
  19. marie, size 14 in pants and large or extra large in shirts....saw your sidebar, you are an angel. thank you ♥

    annie, your contribution is so very much appreciated. thank you. double tsup!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi kj! What a remarkable young woman. I hope she can hang in there, and keep fighting the good fight. I wish I had more time right now to be creative about helping, but at the very least, I will default to a small donation. I wish I could cut the kid a check and pay the whole enchilada! Wouldn't that be loverly? xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. kj, this is one time i m really , really sorry i cant contribute monetarily. Give that girl my love.
    I cant do a credit card transfer because last time, it led to a credit card fraud, and my issuing bank told me that on international sites, there is only one layer of security and therefore i should not use it there. But am forwarding this post to my US friednds.. hopefully someone will help.

    Give that girl a hug for me, and tell her to write a blog. we want to hear more of her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. KJ I donated via Annie Coe's art auction (and I got the painting) I hope my small contribution helps toward Z's successes. She sounds like a worthy and wonderful person for whom a little help can go a long long way!
    You are a wonderful angel to do this work.

    ReplyDelete