Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Refining JOY

 


Lately I’ve been thinking about joy. I chose this card to enclose in our Christmas cards last year, because the unsettled times seemed to call for a reminder of how much joy matters.


But I’ve been rethinking this advice. It’s not that joy doesn’t matter–it matters a boatload, but let’s face it: it’s increasingly hard to hold on to joy when there are so many worries and crisises all around us. The climate is bringing devastating floods and high winds everywhere; a political breakdown still allows automatic guns and mass murders; our schools and movie theaters and churches and shopping malls and get-togethers no longer feel safe. This is real stuff. 

I’m not an alarmist or a pessimist. I truly believe that positive energy and happy connections with ourselves and others promote a joy that is our human right. But I’ve come to  believe that an emphasis on joy, contentment, self-satisfaction–without acknowledging what happening around us, doesn’t work. I think it’s time to say that out loud. 

Joy lives in the little things: gatherings with family and friends, a job well done, the scent of garlic on your fingers, the sound of rain on the roof, the excitement of a blossoming garden, the passion of romance, the pride of recognition, the feeling kindness brings to the giver and recipient. 

But these days, I think it’s a mistake to pursue ‘joy’ as if it’s achievable without coming to terms with the many factors that aren’t joyful at all. Yes, it’s painful to watch the evening news. Yes, we’re in a major climate crisis. Yes, women’s rights are threatened. Yes, our kids aren’t safe in school. Yes, our government has broken down. Yes, our country and world have huge problems. 

And yes, of course joy matters. My point is this: I don’t think most of us are going to be successful if we don’t also acknowledge that there’s a  canope of anxiety over us these days. The anxiety is real, and there are real reasons for it. I think it helps to recognize that. 

So, I offer some unsolicited advice: be realistic. Cherish your life and the people you love, practice gratitude, and snatch and welcome joy whenever and wherever you find it. But also, these days, be extra gentle with yourself and your hopes. These aren’t easy times. Don’t let anyone mislead you about that, or tell you that the ‘canope of anxiety’ isn’t real. No sing-songy messages are going to change that until we humans collectively change what’s happening around us. I just think it’s healthy and helpful to know that…..

10 comments:

  1. It's taken me a couple of days to comment because I have been thinking about your words.

    I think (sadly) there is much wisdom to what you say. But I don't agree with the idea of "pursuing" joy. I guess because I think of joy as always being around us and we need to be open to it and receive it, rather than it being something to obtain.

    That said, I recognize that being open to joy is becoming much, much harder with all the sadness, horror and destruction around us. It is good advice to acknowledge that there is much pain out there and to be gentle with ourselves while trying to cope.

    On the other hand, I don't think we should feel guilty when we get to experience joy in the face of such anguish, as some folks do. Optimist that I am, I still believe there is much more good in the world than evil and we should all add to, and enjoy, it.

    - 8thday (I too am having problems with commenting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, 8. There is no guilt in joy! I do however think it may not come naturally, even in the best of circumstances (which is certainly not now!). Sometimes it hides quietly, waiting to be discovered, or appreciated, or acknowledged. I wrote this because I believe that the path to joy now require awareness of what isn't joyful. I don't know if that makes sense....
      love kj

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite quotes:

      "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.:" - E.B. White

      -8thday

      Delete
  2. My god, you posted! I thought you were gone from your blog and from my life. I hope you are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello snow. I'm not gone. I seem to weave in and out here, but I don't think I'll ever leave. Thanks for missing me xo love kj

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're back! I know that you have always been an activist, as that is the nature you came into this world with. I love and respect you as a friend; however, at age 70, this old poetic dreamer plans on getting as much physical pleasure and fun from this body til I have to return it to the dirt. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that anonymous was me!

      Delete
    2. Hi Deb! I don’t see a conflict in enjoying every once of life! My point is more a recognition that a lot of people now feel a sadness or a fear because of outside events, and it’s an easier path to joy when those events are recognized for what they are.

      I don’t think a person could have more reason to be grateful than I do. Except for my damn back pain, I’ve bern blessed in every way. My daily life has joy in every corner. But I see my daughter’s fears and take on the future—that they mirror my own—and I know the planet is struggling. That’s the canopy of anxiety I refer to.

      And, as for your physical and sexual joy: WOO HOO my friend!!! You know I’m thrilled for you!๐Ÿ’œ

      Delete
  4. Oops, that anonymous was me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Win Ex lover back in 48 hours_______________________________

    Email....R.buckler11 [[ gmail....com ]]

    United States...

    ReplyDelete