Friday, September 05, 2008

A Bit of a Break

Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
So he said to his mother, “I am running away.”
“If you run away,” said his mother, “I will run after you.
For you are my little bunny.”
.
“If you run after me,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a fish in a trout stream
and I will swim away from you.”
.
“If you become a fish in a trout stream,” said his mother,
“I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you.”
.
“If you become a fisherman,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a rock on the mountain, high above you.”
.
“If you become a rock on the mountain high above me,”
said his mother, “I will become a mountain climber,
and I will climb to where you are.”
.
“If you become a mountain climber,”said the little bunny,
“I will be a crocus in a hidden garden.”
.
“If you become a crocus in a hidden garden,”
said his mother, “I will be a gardener. And I will find you.”
.
“If you are a gardener and find me,”
said the little bunny, “I will be a bird
and fly away from you.”
.
“If you become a bird and fly away from me,”
said his mother, “I will be a tree that you come home to.”
.
“If you become a tree,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a little sailboat,
and I will sail away from you.”
.
“If you become a sailboat and sail away from me,”
said his mother, “I will become the wind
and blow you where I want you to go.”
.
“If you become the wind and blow me,” said the little bunny,
“I will join a circus and fly away on a flying trapeze.”
.
“If you go flying on a flying trapeze,” said his mother,
“I will be a tightrope walker,
and I will walk across the air to you.”
.
“If you become a tightrope walker and walk across the air,”
said the bunny, “I will become a little boy
and run into a house.”
.
“If you become a little boy and run into a house,”
said the mother bunny, “I will become your mother
and catch you in my arms and hug you.”
.
“Shucks,” said the bunny, “I might just as well
stay where I am and be your little bunny.”
.
And so he did.
“Have a carrot,” said the mother bunny.
.
I'm taking a break from my blog and blogging for a while. I don't know when, but I will look forward to catching up with you. In the meantime, I can't think of a better way to take my leave than with this children's book. Written in 1942 by Margaret Wise Brown, it's a simple and devoted love story. Nothing more, nothing less. Just love.

10 comments:

  1. She also wrote my favorite childhood book "Home for a Bunny". I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww and we just got started! Don't be away too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun KJ. Don't forget to post Autumn leaves, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story KJ.

    Take care and don't be a stranger.

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved this book, And Goodnight Moon, of course.

    Take care of yourself while you are on break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope it's a break devoted to writing and enjoying the beauty of fall in New England! I love Margaret Wise Brown and give everyone the book Goodnight Moon when they have babies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely story about the bunnies. Enjoy your blogbreak! (You are in my google reader so I can see when you are back) Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved that story!!
    Thank you for bringing it back to mind!

    Have a wonderful break- delight in the crisp clarity that is Fall in the North East!

    Peace,

    ~j

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww....very sweet...have a sweet little carrot kj.

    ReplyDelete