Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Transitions


The last few months have been a whirlwind. Just as my favorite cousin was diagnosed with terminal cancer, my 105 year old Godmother, who lived in her house for the past 93 years, fell and ended up in a nursing home. JB and I stepped in to help both women transition, Maureen to a too-soon death two weeks ago and Marie to a profound loss of independence. 

My cousin Maureen planned every aspect of her remaining 3 months, including her funeral services. In later life she became a Crew Mom in hot air ballooning, and her wake had miniature hot air balloons hanging from the chapel rafters, and behind her casket on the altar there were giant posters like this painting. She spoke about dying in practical and no-regret terms. Her hospice death was more difficult than she and we had hoped, but the send off was everything she wanted. 

My Godmother is now in a nursing home, heavily restricted because she fell while there, for reasons still unknown. So she's gone from the isolation of 2 years of Covid to a chair alarm that alerts the nursing aides every time she stands up or moves. We are trying our best to get her back home with a live-in aide. This has meant major renovations to her house and weekly lengthy trips from my own home. I'm her primary family and I want to help her however I can. I'm increasingly confident she'll be home again. 

Did I mention that at 105 years old Marie entered the nursing home on zero medications, with a pretty good working memory, and in excellent health except for a very bad knee? Amazing in every way.

So JB and I are depleted and exhausted. No regrets, but no rest. We'll be heading to a 5 day spiritual retreat in mid April, and with spring now arriving in New England, I'm looking ahead with renewed hope. Hope is in short supply in this troubled world right now: I can barely follow the tragedy for the Ukranian people and the very real threat to civility and democracy in my own country. Do tyrants always fall? I surely hope so.

No active writing for me these days, but my two books are out there, on Amazon, and my finished family saga is waiting for renewed attention. My back surgery hasn't been as successful as I hoped, but I'm better than I was and I'm ready to resume my gardening ways. I have optimistic genes. I'm thankful for that. 

For the hundredth time, I'm still so sad that blogging has taken a back seat to other social media options. I miss the almost daily backs and forth so much. But I appreciate being here and I appreciate everyone who stops by. Mwah!

love kj

14 comments:

  1. It's funny because I was just reading an article about Dooce who became a big blogger in the early 2000s but it mentioned that blogging started to die down in the mid 2010s and then there was the rise of Instagram.

    Since I never got rich or famous blogging, I am still blogging away, although there have been a few iterations of my blog. I'm glad you're still writing and I've missed you although I can understand why you haven't had time.

    I hope your godmother is able to get back home and I'm sorry about your cousin. Death shouldn't be hard, especially in a hospice.

    I think I like your blog so much because it is hopeful and you are blessed to have those genes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there pixie, I think Facebook first caused the demise of blogging. but boy those days were special! my cousin had a great hospice team but in the end, only her strong heart was functioning and her passing took longer than anyone expected. I'm glad it's over for her.
      love kj

      Delete
  2. Testing if this comment goes thru..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot air balloons are such a perfect and awesome image for the passage into whatever the next chapter is.

    The world is indeed troubled but I still hang onto stories like yours - of incredible caring women - easing someone else's pain and making the world a little bit better for it.

    Much love being sent your way.



    ReplyDelete
  4. 8, what a sweet comment. thank you. I am sending you love right back!

    you probably know where I'll be come mid April for 5 days of spirit-filled R & R. If you happen to be anywhere nearby..... :^)
    love kj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your April break is rejuvenating KJ, loss is hard, helping is hard too if it takes you away and you get less rest. The world feels quite frightening just now but there are good people everywhere - people who know that kindness counts for a lot. Love the picture of the hot air balloon, rising rising up and away to the hereafter. And now Maureen has her own set of wings. Big hug xx Jos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jos xo,
      Thanks so much. You and I are on the same wavelength; you know that, right? it's hard for me to reconcile that the vast number of good people in my life don't translate to vast goodness in governments and countries. As I write this, I'm at my retreat and it's good.
      love kj

      Delete
  6. When things are stressful, I think other social media is just easier and less time-intensive. But like you, I missed the community here. I hope the retreat is helpful and healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi cs, I miss us all here! we were pioneers. and yes, this retreat is helpful and healing and thank you. I could stay in bed resting for 4 days, in between 3 healthy meals, but meditation and chanting and dancing and maybe a walk to the lake is important this week too.

      I know you are at a good place and I'm so glad for you.
      love
      kj

      Delete
  7. Hi Karen! How nice to see your comment on my blog Griemmank. You've been very 'busy' lately and so was JB. Sometimes everything comes in a sort of cluster in life. Glad to hear your back is somewhat better so you can do more things you want to do. About blogging: yes, you are right. But I am still alive and kicking....ánd blogging! :-) Hope you both will have a wonderful summer. Love from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello my friend Wieneke, definitely clusters! love to you always. I hope I'll be more present on your blog. I love that you're still here. xo
      love kj

      Delete
  8. Ok so my main comment for some reason would not get published, but the test one went through! Just wanted to say that am SOOO glad that you are still blogging. it means much. Agree with you that one hates to lose blogging friends, bcs they come to mean so much. Hope you and JB are at that retreat and feeling better. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nidhi, thank you. I've made some lifetime friends through blogging and the whole experience is forever precious for me.
      love kj

      Delete