Monday, May 12, 2008

Chapter 36

“I’ve made a deposit on a cemetery plot”,this declaration from Alex rolls out just as Lily bites into a stuffed mushroom. Her relaxed dinner at the Apollo Grill is melting like the small candle in front of her.
.
“Alex…” Lily gasps.
.
“No, no Lily, nothing’s wrong.” Alex sees the panic on Lily’s face and realizes she has in this moment forgotten the precipitous edge they live on, even after a full year of total remission.
.
“I’ve been thinking that the less I have to worry about, the better I am. So I saw this flyer for a sale on oversized riverfront plots at the Mt. Auburn cemetery and I thought, ‘What the hell?, why not check it out—one less thing to do now or thirty years from now…and there’s room for the kids and even Mike if he wants, and your family….”
.
Lily’s face has significantly relaxed. Though she generally keeps herself on an even keel, she loves Alex’s constant unpredictability: she loves the steady stream of new and wacky ideas that roll themselves out and she loves supporting Alex through most of them.
.
Waterfront, huh. So we’ll have a water view from the other side?”
.
Well”, Alex says, “I don’t think it works that way Lily . "Our visitors will have a water view, but you and I—we’ll have a heavenly view. I’m not sure what that includes but I have to believe it includes you and me still together.”
.
Lily twirls a mushroom around her plate.
.
“Did you ever think it could be this good?” she asks.
.
“No”, says Alex.
.
“Do you ever think we’ll get used to the blood tests?”
.
“No”,
says Alex. “But Lily, we're going on two years. "Ok so I have to pace my breathing and baby my back sometimes, but we’re ok. And can you believe Andy is on his way to NYU? And your book is coming out this year? And Mike and Rebecca? We’ve lucked out, Lily.”
.
Alex reaches for Lily’s hands. She folds them into hers and swallows.
.
Lily, the thought of ever leaving you is unbearable. I can’t imagine you without me.”
.
“I can’t either, Alex.” Lily battles a single tear which prevails and rolls down her right cheek.
.
Alex leans forward. “Then let’s not imagine it. Let’s finish our stuffed mushrooms, enjoy our pistachio crusted salmon, and order chocolate flan and two French roast coffees”.
.
Alex smiles, “Then let’s go home and frolic.”
.
“With the light on or off?” Lily grins.
.
“On”, Alex says emphatically, “Let’s keep the light on…”

9 comments:

  1. What??? No cosmic retribution? Mike lived through it and the kids grew up and the world stayed on its axis? How can this be?

    (laughing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love it! Is this the end? I can't remember if there are more chapters after this or not, but this would make a lovely last line! I love how sexy it is without being raunchy, and how sweet it is. I can hear every word in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate, French roast coffee, *and* frolicking with the lights on! Woohoo! How sweet and well-deserved for these two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *gasp*

    With the light on?! Pure decadence :-D

    Lovely chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA great ending, but honestly KJ, I would be FURIOUS if someone bought 'my' plot without consulting me first! They say in thirty years time, Australians will be buried on top of each other because of lack of space. Your plot will run out of its lease in thirty years I think ... BUT there is SO MUCH free land around! Free as in belonging to some private person I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  6. debra kay, you crack me up.

    nichole, however, this is not the end. sexy without being raunchy--oh thank you thank you!

    melissa, thank you. i am very fond of these two. i like their relationship!

    miladysa, i take great joy in knowing you gasped...

    anon, someone buried above and someone below and you sandwiched in the middle? the only good part is you don't care...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Like the bones of tuna in a sandwich! I'd care if I knew about it first ... there's no one for me to be buried on top of yet. I'd die worrying about it. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have up to six in a grave over here, one on top of the other.

    I take it this is unusual for America and Australia then?

    ReplyDelete