Friday, April 04, 2008

Day 4 Poetry: Pals

I've flunked friend-school in the past.
.
I'm one of those people who may look and sound like an open book but I'm really very private, especially when it comes to truly being myself. So it is no small wonder that I am the beneficiary of a one-of-a-kind best friend who cares about my secret desires, petty grievances, grand aspirations and knee-knocking doubts. Although this poem has previously appeared on my blog, here it is again--with repeat thanks to my dearest friend for all this and more:
.
I tell you about my bank account
The challenges I mount
My heart’s desires
My passion and fires
The guy at the bar
My avatar
The near accident
The words I meant
The way I pace
An occasional grace
The lights at the park
My fear of the dark
The reasons I cry
The times that I try
My zero fashion
My deepest passion
My life on the lane
The times I’m insane
My college days
The places I’ve played
When I fall down
My sacred ground
The wide Midwest
Times put to the test
Living abroad
Loving lobster and cod
All that I feel
When I try to be real.
You patiently listen
To everything missing
I could chatter all night
Lost in delight
And you just smile and say,
“Wow--you’ve had quite a day!”

7 comments:

  1. nothing like a good friendship.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love the poetry, great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember this poem! WHERE is your best friend right now, I don't see her comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear KJ,

    I don't know why you would say you flunked Best friend school because the first time I saw you, you were surrounded by friends who clearly adore you and you've known them for many years. It's not hard to love you. I also think that this is a very sterilized description of your best friend who reacts like a boiling pot to some of your ideas.

    P.S. Anon, I waited for you to write your comment to see what you will say. Hah! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't say anything but you hadn't commented yet Ces! HAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I know you'd say something.

    ReplyDelete