Friday, November 02, 2018

Mish Mash


This image explains the weekend workshops that JB and I plan to offer here in Provincetown, once my back pain is behind me (no pun intended!) We'll combine personal growth and community and awesome food with sand and sea and dashes of creativity. When? Hopefully by next Spring.

In mid August I began a private pay non-surgical treatment plan for the two slipped bones in my back. I did this as a last ditch effort to avoid a lengthy surgery and and recovery. The treatment is laser, decompression therapy much like traction, foot vibrations, nutritional supplements, heat and ice, home machines to wake up and rebuild cells and fluid. The first nine weeks: nothing. But two weeks ago the agonizing pain I've had whenever I bore weight and tried to walk lessened considerably. Since then I definitely am improved and am increasingly hopeful. It's good news for me. I have a long way to go with weight loss and reconditioning but finally I'm looking ahead again.

What else? I'm praying for an anti-Trump election next Tuesday, if only to control his base and disgusting policies and hate filled white supremacy.  I find myself thinking that destiny's at work here; I think this because it's difficult and painful to imagine that almost 40% of Americans are either ill informed or mean spirited and most likely both. I find it all heartbreaking and shocking.

JB and I are preparing for colder weather and winter in our cozy house that we've finally finished. We now have a propane gas fireplace stove that gives such a glow. This should be the season I truly finish the edits to my manuscript and truly shop for an agent or publisher. I've been blessed with 3 readers who have helped me so much with their feedback and corrections. 

Finally, I'm still living day to day with my "Wait to Worry" mantra. If I have a problem that has to be faced on Monday but it's only Friday, I wait to worry. This really works! Sometimes, more often than you'd think, waiting changes the problem to the point it's not really a problem. Wait to Worry: I highly recommend it.

One more finally: if I had one extra wish, it would be that Blogging became fashionable and active again. My time here has changed my life over the last 12 years, and I miss so many old friends from our blogging days. Time for me to start posting poems again also.

with love
kj




20 comments:

  1. I miss some old bloggers as well. I'm glad your back pain is improving and I definitely need to work on my wait to worry mantra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, try it. It’s really worked for me.
      Love kj

      Delete
  2. so many thoughts. I will try to return to respond more fully but sooooo glad some of your pain has let go at last and sending prayers that you can avoid surgery. lOve and hugs to you both. Suki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi suki! Avoiding surgery is looking hopeful! Some of this is going to be squarely up to me: weight loss and exercise. I pray pray pray I stay motivated!
      Love
      kj

      Delete
  3. I miss blogging too! The workshops sound wonderful. If they're offered on weekends that would be good ;) But the best news is your back is improving, or your pain. Yay!! I'm sorry I'm such a slow reader because I do love your writing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo, definitely weekends: probably Friday dinner through Sunday lunch (ha! That I go right to the food part!)
      Love
      kj

      Delete
  4. I will have been blogging for 14 years in February and miss a lot of people. So many just disappeared one day and eventually their blogs were removed. I wish they had at least gave a parting post. One in particular I remember was a mom of a child who had multiple health issues and when she suddenly stopped blogging I feared the worst. It turns out the child was fine and something about internet connection. She hadn’t posted in over a year and was a little upset that she had let her readers assume that her child had died

    I have a similar Wait to Worry way of dealing with things. I Put It In the Jar. The worry goes into the jar and the lid goes on. It’s not a real jar, just one on my head. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi birdie, I hated losing blog friends and especially if someone just disappeared. That happened to me once—anonymous bird in Australia, and i’ve Lamented forcyears what might have happened.

      The jar is a super idea 👍🏼
      Love
      kj

      Delete
  5. First, I have to say that everytime I come to your blog that picture of your dog just makes me smile. It's like he knew someone arrived and the ear goes up, listening.

    So, so happy to hear your back pain is lessening. Chronic pain is a tough thing to live with, but hope is a powerful potion.

    I do believe that for that 40% of whom you speak, white privilege and patriarchy is working quite well and they prefer to rage against the inevitable change than accept it and grow.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 8 💜
      Mattie a sweet cute dog. We’re enjoying her company!

      I hope that change is indeed inevitable. The racism is unbelievable. I know many people who support trump and it shocks me every time. I have a secret hope the Dems take the Senate. I can’t help hoping.
      Ps heading to Kripalu in late nov-early dec. Possibility?
      Love
      kj

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear things are improving for you. My chronic problem has been addressed a bit differently by two new sets of eyes and I am much improved as well, though I've not made it back to blogging yet. I like your wait to worry philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi e, i’m So glad to hear you’re much improved. Let’s both keep it up. I don’t blog as often as I wish and I can no longer figure out how to upload my photos or add blogs I want to follow, but i’m Glad i’m back.
      Love
      kj

      Delete
  7. Hello there, welcome back, dear Karen. How wonderful to read here that your condition and your back is so much improving without surgery. Hoera!!! (means Hoera in Dutch hahahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello my dear dear Wieneke, I'm definitely encouraged--finally!

    what is the best way for me to translate your blog? It's not fair that you keep in touch with me and I don't reciprocate.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Google translate is the best. Look here: https://translate.google.com/
    You can copy/paste my blogtext from Dutch (Nederlands) to English.

    I write sometimes words and even sentences that cannot be translated, because I write sometimes funny language, but in general you will have a good idea of the contents.
    Let me know whether it works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news on your back. I hope it continues to be helpful.

    I miss some of the old bloggers, too. And my state went all Trump. I feel sickened by it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi cs 💜
    I live in progressive Massachusetts and little Provincetown is overwhelmingly blue. That helps emotionally, but not enough to shield reality. Praying for an end to the trump era.

    I miss the heyday of blogging so much!
    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  12. kj: Yes, I have lost a lot of blogging pals too and wish they would come back.. I also wish that blogging goes back to being what it was - an outpouring of the heart, the sharing of who we really are, and real connections.


    Good luck with the workshop and for the winter ahead.

    What you call, "Wait to worry", I am teaching my son as the "last Responsible moment". Its a concept we use in Agile Project Management in IT - a moment where either you take a decision, or a decision will be taken for you. Until you reach that moment, there is no need to think of anything related to that subject. At that moment, compile all you have, and take a decision. It works in most cases, and in some cases, I find that it is helpful to think of something a little in advance.

    Have a terrific week ahead, and pls post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey KJ

    I've been trying to comment on your blog and wasn't able to for a while - then realized I have to use Firefox instead of Safari for it to work :))

    I'm so happy that your treatments are helping ease your back pain and improve your life. The weekend workshops sound cool.

    Blogging has changed with the popularity of Instagram and Twitter - but I still enjoy posting from time to time and reading those of us who are still around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amanda! I’m so glad to hear from you! I’m about to start using instagram—I really don’t know how but i’m Ready to try. Wishing you a great holiday season
    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete