Thursday, July 04, 2019

No Tease Am I :^)


My friend 8, you've motivated me to blog today. Honest, I'll be blogging more often. I'd like to know that my photos will upload and my comments will publish but I'm taking my chances that the technology and blogger gods have decided to go easy on me.

This first photo is my newly designed side yard. It was a gift by two very talented people who know how to do "hardscape"--laying down paths and decks and installing arbors and trellises and leveling the ground including topsoil. JB and I fed these two fine people (Jeannie and her brother Craig)  for the 3 plus days it took for them to start and finish, and we are so grateful. I had an awesome time justifying spending a few hundred dollars buying shrubs and plants, and I'm shocked and sad to say, even though I consider myself a gardener, most have not been successful! The alliums are flacidly limp and the honey suckle stopped flowering. I'm bummed. But I'm also determined. Bring it on, next year!


So my back problem has limited me from just about everything. For a year JB had to drive me to the front door of a restaurant and let me lean on her so I could hobble inside. But no more! I have a way to go, but I'm on the mend. I can walk without pain, and my rehabilitative reputation in the neighborhood has included painting this wall. This photo shows about 2/3 of it. For the last week, I've been out by 7 am painting. First coat finished, second coat almost finished. This is like winning an award to me. PROGRESS! (This picture is before I started, FYI)



We expect to have a fine summer here on Cape Cod. Friends are coming and each of our grandkids is coming separately, ages 12, 10, 8, and 6. They'll each stay for 3 nights and 4 days and we'll do pretty much whatever they want! This includes dessert first. It also includes this pool. JB and I have this saline pool available to us all summer, and it's one block from our house. I gotta tell you: it's heaven. A couple of hours of cooling down and then letting the sun dry us from a lounge chair is as good as it gets. This is also great exercise for me: I still don't know if I actually can swim but I've gotten better at doing whatever it is that I do.


And finally, that little speck of a person on the top left quadrant is my Jessica, zip lining in Sundance, Utah, in the midst of a work conference. I had no idea she's be brave enough to do this (I'm not, JB is) but I'm always so darn glad when I know she's happy, and she is. Did I already post about my Mother's Day present from her? I got an email from a place called "Storyworth." It told me every Monday Jess would send me a question via email, I would answer it each week by email however I wanted--long, short, photos, no limits--and they would send my answer to Jess. For the next 52 weeks. That was cool enough. But at the end of a year, they will give Jess an bound book of all her questions and all my answers. I'm over the moon about it because it's memorializing my life for when I'm no longer here. Questions so far: what was your grandfather like?, where did your family vacation?, what's your strongest memory from childhood? etc.  

Today is July 4th and I hope it rains tonight so President Trump['s takeover of the country's celebration is minimized. I'm as ever appalled, hoping he'll be replaced in 2020, shocked that I even have to hope.

I'll back, 8. I think I'm back. xoxo
love
kj


10 comments:

  1. That is a lovely mother's day present. I'll have to look at it.

    I'm so glad your back is better and you're up and living your life again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Deb, blogger is toying with my comments but I'm back. Thanks for being here too
      love
      kj

      Delete
  2. Love the stone work and landscaping!

    Facing the inevitable, I am slowly trying to re-landscape to lessen the amount of weeding (kneeling) that is required, and planting more maintenance free plants.

    Once you're done with that wall, feel free to come to NY. We have lots to keep you busy.

    The legacy book? I'm more of a "what happened in the past, stays in the past" kind of parent : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi 8, for me the legacy book is a super way to toss my 2 cents into the future!

      I'm working on low maintenance gardening too. I'd hate to be filmed trying to get up from sitting on the ground :^)

      love
      kj

      Delete
  3. The path in the side yard looks great. You guys have done a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, cs. the house is almost done, for real! I'm driving JB crazy because my list of slow moving improvements doesn't seem to shrink, even though it should. :^)
      love love
      kj

      Delete
  4. nice to have you back blogging. I too have posted several blog post recently. It seems a quieter, more peaceful way to communicate than FB. Thanks for your updates and sooo glad your pain is gone and your walking better. The special times with your grandkids souns fab esp eat dessert first, LOL. And the gift book of stories for Jessica. Brilliant. May your summer continue to be heart opening and lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi suki, so glad you're blogging again too. I agree that it's a more peaceful way to communicate. the difference for me, in many ways, is that through Facebook I'm sharing with people I already know. Here, in bogland, there's a common sharing among people who may have started as strangers. I cherish my friends here.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy your photos are uploading. I loved the top one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have a great summer planned and I love the Mother's Day gift. What a wonderful keepsake that book will be!

    ReplyDelete