Saturday, July 19, 2014

Abundant Love

Today, July 19th, is my beloved daughter's birthday. I could not be prouder of her.



To Jessica

Take both eyes, both hands,
My legs and arms, 
Even take the precious German clock
And every special book.

Take my bank account,
All twenty photo albums,
My garden in August
And the miraculous April rain.

Take it all if you can promise. 
I knew in the instant this would be so.
I’m into any burning house,
On to a frigid raft at sea,
I’m ripping the mangled steel with my bare hands.

Anything, anything for this girl.
The edgeless corners of the truest love
And the endless reserve of cavernous protection
Surround this child who lives within and without,
This fantabulous kid with the crack up wit
And the tender expansive heart.

Take it all, whether you are a son-of-a-bitch
Or an evolving angel, 
Whether the cost is temporary or forever,
Take it all to shelter this child
Through every molecular motion and moment. 

Given the chance to love like this, 
The price of my sightless limbless body
And wiped clean barren possessions
Amounts to nothing more than shiny pennies and
And effortless will

20 comments:

  1. i want to be the first to comment that i love this girl as much as any heart could hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday to your girl, what a wonderful gift you've given her, your ever present abundant love. happy birthday to you too. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Lori.you know about such love. It's grand.

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to you both! What a glorious poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. The poem had easy fuel :-)

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  4. Oh Happy Birthday Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice day today, Mim. 37 years old . Hard to believe :-)

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful poem. Hope she has a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, deb. An easy poem to write because of so much love
      xoxo
      kj

      Delete
  6. That is such a tender and thoughtful poem. Happy birthday, Jess, and kj.

    Blessings and Bear hugs all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, rob. As for your other comment, where the heck IS emily rabbit? She has been very silent. I 'm going to search for her . Please let me know if she shows up at your house

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  7. Your poem brings tears to my eyes as I relate. Our children are the only thing in this world that gives it meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, rubye. Your comment means a lot. I would die for Jess, not a second of doubt. Yes, so much meaning from such love, eh?

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  8. P.S.: A footnote, KJ, for your other love, Emily V.V. Rabbit.

    1. I fully understand that Emily V.V. has had a few scrapes with the law. Normally, that would mean she couldn't get into Canada. But I have dug a tunnel under the Canada - US border, which is big enough for a Bear, so it should be more than large enough for her. She'll be here as an undocumented foreigner, but I think we can work around that.

    2. We have good food for Emily V.V.. Lettuce from our garden is fresh, plus good organic carrots from the Farmers' Market. As well, my secret stash of jelly beans is well stocked. (She'll like that.)

    3. I believe I've met a relative of hers. The Rev. Emily C. is the priest at our local Anglican (or "Episcopal") Church. With shared names of Emily, I suspect they are cousins. Perhaps distant, but family nonetheless. I'd love to introduce Emily V.V. to Emily C.

    Blessings and Bear hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bittersweet juxtaposition of posts - the loss of a friend, the celebration of your daughter's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cs, I can safely say that bittersweet has a prominent place in life. Good thing we are able to love so deeply, come what may xo

    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one fiercely beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kj, Beautiful tribute to your daughter and lovely poem. Happy Belated birthday to her.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie. We had a good celebration

      Love
      kj

      Delete