Monday, April 30, 2018

A Pup Named Mattie


We had no intention of getting a puppy. For one thing we're too old. For another, we're partial to older dogs who need and deserve a good home. And for another thing, we weren't ready.

Here's what happened: my daughter's brother-in-law posted a Facebook photo of Mattie and he left a comment, 'you might be interested.' I impulsively called the rescue group listing her and found myself talking to her foster mother. Mattie was being housed on Cape Cod, so it was easy for us to visit her foster home, watch her play with the three other dogs who lived there, and hear about how sweet she was. The die was cast: we decided on the spot to adopt her. 

Except that Jess' brother-in-law didn't direct his comment to me in that Facebook post at all. He was nudging someone else to consider Mattie, not me! Which is another way of saying that Fate took the wheel and destiny delivered Mattie to our little family.


Her foster mother was right. She is a wonderful dog, smart, sweet, flexible, kind. At nine weeks old she was pretty much potty trained in a day, slept through the night, and even now is uncharacteristically patient for a puppy.

Mattie was rescued off the streets of the island of Aruba. She was was flown to the United States with about 40 other puppies before she ended up in our neck of the woods. Aruban street dogs are called Cunucus, a rare breed named after their homeland, the small Caribbean Island in the Dutch Antilles. The word "Canucu" means 'countryside' in the local language of Papiamento. These dogs are known to be athletic, courageous, loyal and intelligent. Mattie is all that. If they have any faults at all, they dig and bark. They are also agile and have amazing leaping ability. This is apparently an adaptation for lizard-chasing in prickly terrain, which may be a necessity in Aruba but not here in Provincetown. :^) Cunucus are pack dogs who live on the streets, forage for food from tourists and by their own means, and are targeted for rescue, especially the puppies, by a few wonderful animal welfare groups. 


It has been 2 years since we've had a dog and in those two years JB and I had the luxury of no responsibility for any one but ourselves. No longer. Now we're tethered to Mattie, but not because we feel responsible. It's simpler than that. Love has taken over. I'm amazed by how easily and completely that can happen. We care about her, we've all bonded. Because of my immobility this pup has learned all kinds of commands from me on the couch (sit, stay, leave it, bed, come, kiss, paw, no, yes, kiss kiss kiss) and all kinds of fun in the outer world from JB (daily dog wrestling at the local dog park, runs on the beach, walks on a leash.) She rides in the car with us, plays with our grand kids, welcomes and snuggles with our company and friends, and sleeps right next to me each night.

Dogs are special beings. When they're loved and with guidance, their loyalty and unconditional love can't be matched by us flawed humans. I hope once I'm back on my feet we'll head to our local animal shelter and bring home that 6-7 year old dog we first planned for. We're sure Mattie will like the companionship. Meanwhile, forgive me for saying she's a special dog, but I think she is. Most of all, she's kind--my favorite quality no matter what your species.

So here's to Mattie aka Matilda 'Mattie' Marie. She has a too-small yard to play in and a non-athletic and kid-less family, but all in all she landed on her feet. And so did we.

love
kj
this post dedicated to my friend Wieneke xo

18 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot, Karen. You've made my day with this wonderful loving post of your new 'kid' Mattie. She is really adorable and Dutch hahaha... Harry and I and of course our little Lola wish the three of you all the happiness in the world together. Lately I read this. I know you have once lived in Germany so maybe you will understand it:
    Ein Leben ohne Hund ist ein Irrtum (Carl Zuckermayer).
    And we don't like to make mistakes, do we? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Wieneke, I love that quote and I agree!
      ps I didn't think about google translator. I will from now on!
      love love
      kj

      Delete
  2. She really is a special dog, sweet, loving and snuggly. You both have earned this doggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you've met Mattie, mim.
      love
      kj

      Delete
  3. She's beautiful and looks so sweet. Sounds like she found the right family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need a dog to teach us to broaden our love.
    I have noticed that female dogs lie on their stomachs with both rear legs out while male dogs have only the one rear leg out and the other tucked under. We have a male -- little bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have noticed that female dogs lie on their stomachs with both rear legs out while male dogs have only the one rear leg out and the other tucked under."

      I'm wondering how many dogs you've observed to reach this conclusion.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's so sweet. I had no idea Mattie was from Aruba. Guess she's living a dushi bida now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi boatman, interesting observation, not transferable to humans :^)
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi cs, I had to look up the meaning of dushi bida! JB and I are dushi bida too!
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck Mattie, and you, KJ and JB :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi KJ. It's been a long time. I was looking at my currently snoozing blog and came across your blog. So happy to see you have fallen in love with Mattie.
    Stumpy and I moved in with my mom. We realised not too far into the move that my mom shouldn't be left alone for very long. So here we are saying the long goodbye.
    Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi hdwk, thanks for the well wishes.
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there Cyndi, how nice to hear from you. I hope things go well with your mom--I know how challenging that can be. I doubt you'll ever regret the support you give her, and that is a blessing for both of you. take care of yourself and a smooch to stumpy.
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is adorable, and if she turns up missing, you might want to look in Oregon for her. Can she really be only nine weeks old, or did you have her for a whilte before you posted her story? Bless you both, no, bless you all three, for you are now a three person family, and I so hope it goes well. I know you're getting up there in years, but surely you'll outlast Mattie, so my greatest concern is for how she's going to get enough exercise. I also worry that she will either knock one of you down or pull you off your feet. Oh for the days when such things wouldn't even have entered my mind; the days when ALL I would have thought about would have been the love and the joy!

    It is so rewarding to give a good home to a cat or a dog that had such a sad start in life. I regularly look at my cats and feel gratitude for what Peggy and I have been able to give them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi snow, i’m Late checking back on this blog.

    Mattie was put into foster care at 10 weeks old. She was about 14 weeks old when we got her.

    JB takes her to a local dog park every day and sometimes twice a day. She wrestles off and on with about 10 other dogs, all with attentive and responsible owners. We also have a pretty contained beach a block from our house: working on a reliable ‘come’ so we can let her run and swim without dragging a rope leash.

    I’m still hobbling so knocking me down is something I have to watch out for. JB got herself some rope burns around her ankles and here in anything/goes Provincetown, the heath center had a good laugh wondering how it happened. They settled on a trapeze injury :-)

    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete