Thursday, August 09, 2012

This Week

I have no pictures.

Nothing that shows the table last night scattered with tacos and sliced avocados and popcorn and one butter cream chocolate birthday cake and one whipped frosting vanilla cupcake.

Nothing that shows a five year boy carefully choosing eleven candles by color (pinks, reds, and blues) and just as carefully strategically pushing them into the cake (six plus five, for me) 

Nothing that describes the exhausting thrill of caring for three little boys five, three, and one who give tight-around-your-neck hugs before transforming the couch into a trampoline ('No! Stop!')

Nothing that reflects the athleticism of a baby who cannot yet walk, crawling and lifting himself and holding on to anything in front of him, even Sadie the dog, all over the house 

There is no time for pictures.

I am at my daughter and son in law's house this week with my counterpart Grandmother (Mike's Mother) and together we are doing something neither of us has done consistently in twenty five years. The boys are all up by 6:30 am, we are efficient in getting everyone dressed and eating at least milk and fruit, leaving some time for silly words and stories before they head for daycare and we head for work.  We reconvene by five or six, isn't that a long day for everyone? I can see from the daycare center that stress accompanies not-enough time. We eat (too quickly but with good intention),  catch up, sometimes sing and tonight is bath night, and we barely get the boys in bed on time, which includes reading books and at least one or two unplanned bathroom stops. I say barely only in case Jess reads this. The more accurate word so far this week is rarely.

Drew who is three announces "I need privacy!" when he goes to the bathroom. And when he 'poops', as he calls it, he points before he flushes and says confidently,  "I TOLD YOU!' 

And Mr. Ryan age five is apparently in the habit of pondering several questions that cause him to call from upstairs after he has gone to bed. The latest is the secret of the birthday card he had made for me: where should he keep it? can he give it to me first thing in the morning? will there be birthday cake for breakfast? This last question is asked only because his parents are not here. 

I can feel the exhaustion. It surprises me. This must be why parents do not have babies later in life*. But there is something so damn precious about caring for and sharing with these little boys. They aren't angels but in some way they really are.

I've read Cat in the Hat twice.

It's nice.

I want to write my own Cat in the Hat.

Imagine that. 

love
kj


* of course i know there are biological reasons, but that is not the only way to become a parent, right?!

24 comments:

  1. You describe all the joy perfectly. I don't have any grandchildren, but have a 2.8 mos old great nephew, who I am just crazy about, and every moment with him is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, fun, fun!! Your post makes me look forward to seeing my nephews (6 and 8) next week and to meet my cousin's new baby (7 months). Just like you, I get exhausted when I stay with them for long - but it's a good exhaustion! They are so sweet!!

    Enjoy!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 and 8 and a baby? And you get to sleep in the next morning? Perfect ! :-)

      Wishing you a wonderful trip, silke xo

      Delete
  3. Loved this, kj. Yes, there is a reason we have children when we are young. And fun trumps picture taking everytime. There will be lots more opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I will wish I had pictures from the week but no way! Hahaha

      Delete
  4. *sniff*. This is so lovely. My mother just had my 47 year old brother and his 10 year old son for a couple days. She was exhausted when I talked to her yesterday. Just having to plan meals and have them on schedule exhausted her. I think having little ones around on occasion helps counter the rigidity that sets in later in life. I couldn't imagine having a full time little one now, much less three! But I can feel the joy, and I look forward to the grandkid parts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no rest for the weary, Annie :-)

      I always dreamed of having grandchildren for the summer (aka little house on the prairie) but I'm no longer sure I could stay upright . Still, it's heartwarming

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  5. I hope you write your own cat in hat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who needs photos? I can picture this perfectly, and I must say you are very brave. A whole week?????? Very brave, God bless you!
    But I know,,,,in the end it's worth it.
    (well, I'm still not sure about that week thing. Two days in a row does me, and that's just with one!)

    Cat In The Hat Rocks, and you do too, Gramma.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you know, babs! Thank god for grandmother # 2--she is great. I called into work sick on thurs--the ride was 90 minutes one way, I did it on tues, and I thought 'are you crazy,kj?!" better to enjoy the kids :-)

      Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :-)

      Delete
  7. I am one of those who started having kids 'late'. But I had to meet the right other half before starting a family. Sometimes it happens that way. :) As for those kids, yes, they are angels. I smile every time you write about them. xox

    PS Thunder Mountain RULES! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our families, Pam, and we do our best xoxo

      yES thunder mountain!!!!!

      Love our friends too
      xo
      kj

      Delete
  8. hahahaha!!!! I can imagine how exhausted you must be after such a day! And then a whole week!!!!!!!!!!!
    My what a task had have put on your shoulders........but I am sure it is also packed with fun things! This will be such an unforgetable experience for both you and the kids!
    And yes resepect for you dear!
    And respect for jessica for doing this every day, but you are right she is younger. I can't think of myself doing this........
    happy my kids are big but who know maybe Lars will take 3 kids soon after the other and in 10 years time I will be in the same situation as you are (well I hope so)
    Enjoy and after this take time to rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ♥M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess and mike gave established a clear schedule for all three boys, Marianne. Not rigid but the kids know when ut'a time for pj's, brushing teeth etc. and they all are cozy comfortable going to bed. I'm proud of my daughter and sil :-)

      Whew anyway ! zzzzzzzzz

      Love
      kj

      Delete
  9. I certainly get the picture, even without the photos. Sounds like when our grandchildren come over (which has happened quite often over the summer).

    Wait. Did I read, "tacos and sliced avocados"? Yes; yes I did. Why didn't you say that emily v.v. rabbit had joined you? Are you somehow ashamed of her? Or are you assisting her in her flight from justice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I thought that too, bear! :-)

      Delete
  10. I can see it all, I can feel it all,I am there with you step by step. LOL. We am having Milo for his first sleepover this weekend- he is 14 months now, and there are two adults to one boy...I know I will be shattered afterwards, but so much richer for this experience. Love and be loved -it's that simple. And I know your version of Cat in the Hat would be great! Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are only small for such a short time, glad you are enjoying the hell out of it :-).xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green Eggs and Ham would be my favorite, Sam I am :). It sounds like you are enjoying those three little men and they are having the time of their lives just being boys at your place. Yes, write your own Cat in the Hat.

    Three boys in the car
    Could very go very far...

    Just thinking out loud here :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love visiting your blog with its changing photo banner and pithy, warm slices of life. Oh, how I remember the days of having two small boys and oh, how much I want to be a grandmother one day, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. kj,
    This is a wonderful description of living with three small children!
    I love it, and what a precious time indeed.
    I know that after caring for young children for 8 hours per day at the daycare center where I work, I am exhausted every day, but also happy and contented. Children return so much love right back to us.
    I don't at this time, have grandchildren, but used to enjoy having my nieces for weekends and it sure could take alot out of me, but I was never sorry not to have had them with all their amazingly interesting conversations, plans, and projects.
    Your descriptions brought some happy memories back to me, as you wrote so beautifully here.
    I believe, from this post, you have had a birthday, so wishing you a Happy Birthday!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I LOVE this kj! I can identify so very much with so much of it! (The frank toileting remarks for example!)As well as the daycare stress, seeing as I am a relief teacher at one myself. Just love this description of what it means to be a working Grandma(s)and looking after the grandchildren. Hats off! Thank you for this. :)

    ReplyDelete