Saturday, February 19, 2011

Splurges

I'm done with the snow. Here are some photos of the last snowfall; snow clinging to every twig and branch of every tree.
.




.hahaha, leave it to # 9 to have a crooked lamp post!
.
The snow doesn't look like this anyone.
.
It is alot black now. Alot.
.
.
I'm ready for spring. I'm now officially writing a second book! And, it struck me in the shower this morning, I seem to be treating myself as well as I can. I take that to be a good all-around sign.
.
.
So during my shower I opened my Origins' Ginger cream (so worth trying) and I started thinking about the things I splurge on. I love my guilt-free splurges.
.
The definition of a splurge:
.
1. a big expenditure
2. to be extravagant

.
Here are some of mine. I'd like to hear some of yours:
.
.
1. My morning coffee: the best is when JB makes it and it's ready when I get up. There is nothing like that first cup: the sound of my french press drips, the scent of peet's just-right major dickinson coffee, the hot feel of my favorite orange mug, fifteen minutes all for myself.
.
.
2. Good shoes: I didn't know for a long time that good shoes are worth the money. The buttery feel of soft Italian leather, the smell of new black suede boots, the look of cool clogs, my favorite sturdy sneakers and sandals: I'll spend on shoes and in a rare occasion I've bought two or even three pairs at a time. With good shoes, I feel so dressed.
.
.
3. Books & gardens: I don't like shopping in general. I shop for clothes maybe twice a year. I don't like malls. But bookstores and garden centers--this is a fact: I am never unhappy when I am at either. I stroll and browse. And what I buy I buy without guilt.
.
.
4. My iphone: don't get me started. I LOVE IT. I can email, blog, calculate, text, phone, write notes, record sounds, take pictures, google, check the weather, research facts. All with just a few pushes of my finger. I don't know how I did without it. It may be high tech to some, but to me it is lowly lovely simplicity.
,
,
5. Honesty: is this a splurge? I see it that way, because even though I may struggle and juggle a lot of things, I don't stress about being honest. I'm happy to say I just am.
,
,
6. Working part-time. What a luxury. If I've missed a day because of snow and I can make it up the next day. I work three days, have four days off. Actually, I've earned this schedule. Some people my age aren't working at all. But for me, with a Mother who worked until she was 76, it's a splurge to be enjoying the days I work and the days I don't.
.
.
7. Anne Marie Borland's face cream: A long time ago a past life psychic and skin care woman named Jennifer, who was the sister of my hairdresser, told me to use this moisturizer for life. She was right: it's a great product. And except for an unfortunate stress line on my left cheek, caused by a most unfortunate misstep and mistrust, my skin likes it.
.
.
8. Any camera or printer made by Canon.
.
.
9. The Atlantic Ocean. I can drive to it, in the summer walk to it, walk along its bays and coasts, search for shells, watch the sun rise and set. I can smell the sea & feel the wind slap me silly.
.
.
10. Time to blog: A part of my life would be dimmer without this community of talented artists and writers and observers who share this place and space. Blogging is a source of ongoing joy for me--a fantastic splurge. I wouldn't want to miss a moment of it. :^)
.
.
So, let me add this up. It seems that at least half of my splurges don't even require much money; easy gifts to give myself. A pretty good arrangement, I'd say....
.
love
kj

10 comments:

  1. oh what a great post kj. but you left out one big splurge, the way you give to all your friends. you definetly splurge on that.

    i like all your splurges and agree completely with all except i don't drink coffee and don't have an iphone.

    i splurge on books and wool and the farmers market. sometimes i splurge at etsy and sometimes on organic beauty products (i've never heard of your cream, i will look it up). i splurge on the outdoors as much as i can. i think i splurge on alot of things that don't cost money too.

    and i'm sorry i keep wishing for snow, i will stop doing that as soon as i leave nyc on thursday! haha.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I splurge on books - always have...always will.
    I want to splurge on some new furniture and am starting negotiations on that front.

    I feel like I'm splurging when I get coffee in bed and sleep past 6:00 am. I did splurge this summer on a gorgeous Italian Leather bag - and it was so worth it. I splurge on art supplies. I splurge on gorgeous wool. I often splurge on Sean and Brian - but they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're done with the snow - but is it done with you?

    I splurge on good sheets. Plants for inside and out. And recently, a massage. Worth. Every. Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I love the look of every single branch laced with snow, I'm with you on being DONE with it!! Except I'm also with you for wanting a light snowfall for Lori while she's here ;)

    My splurges, hmmm...

    the best for my animals regarding food and vet care no matter how broke I am.

    art supplies and books. To me they're investments :)

    organic fruits and veggies

    free splurges: walks in nature

    taking photographs of just about everything!

    painting, drawing and simply creating.

    writing, I don't do it enough.

    day trips with Brian.

    watching my squirrel and bird friends from the window as I sip my coffee.

    Driving to the ocean to see the sunset, often by myself.

    meditation. There needs to be more of that!

    Being a good friend,wife and pet mom.

    and finally, blogging. My connection to a whole new family of dear friends who keep me buoyed every single day.♥

    I love lists! And you ;)♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of my splurges are like yours, though I have very little money to splurge, none really, but I do anyway because it's important.
    Books, movies and flowers,
    Hot chocolate, and yes blogging!
    No iphone for me though way out of my price range for a splurge. But I do splurge on high speed, for many years I just had dial up.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this post, KJ!! Great splurges.

    Let's see, what are some of mine? Well, a daily homemade latte, art supplies, yarn, flowers occasionally, eating out sometimes, good groceries, books, books, books.

    And then many things that don't cost anything: blogging, sitting on the back porch watching the birds, playing with our pets, skyping with my family, taking photos of everything that catches my eye, being in touch with my friends, naps, and more...

    Sending you warm sunshine and spring!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  7. lori, it's the easiest thing in the world to give to friends who give to you. :) your wish for snow shall be granted. i take some credit :)

    mim, you sound like me: not a lot of shopping splurges but when you do it's especially nice. oh that italian leather. i'm imagining it rubbing against my face. ♥

    cs, at least it's melting! probably one or two more storms, then spring begins here too :) sheets, plants, massage: YES!

    lo, lori will get this wish: i think 1-3 inches, i hope enough to look pristine. great list lo. i love carrying our cameras around together. oh ptown. let's do it again, this time definitely with MIM!! as for being a good friend, wife and pet mom: well, hell yes! ♥

    annie, i heard the iphone is now
    $ 49 through verizon. i'm not sure but if it is, i think the monthly charge is the same as any other cell phone. just sayin'. i know from your post this has been a tough period. i hope everything lightens up. ♥

    silke, how could i have left out flowers?! i love flowers inside and out. i love puting them together, choosing the vase, the location :) i have a feeling i would like to sit on your porch with you.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kj, I loved reading your special parts of the day and what you do and don't like.
    I'm very similar, love a cup of tea with lots of milk. You know us british and tea,lol!
    I've been told I'm the re-incarnation of Artemisia and in trying to find out I have been trying to meditate to look back into her life. When I got it wronge and thought it was the man in the painting by Antonello Da messina I couldn't get nothing. Understand why now. All I got when thinking, I want to see this life and monk. I felt the monk had something to do with a cloth merchant. When asking Rose if I had a life with St Francis of Assisi,( I once saw me go and talk to him in a day dream/vision) When she said yes, I looked up his life and found his dad was into cloth merchant. So it was like a verification. Maybe there all day dreams? I never in my life thought I was such a huge past artist. In fact it's quite overwhelming me now. I cannot possibly paint this way and to this quality. I'm on a mission to find out more!
    I'm more interested on finding my soul purpose and truth than anything else. There's something deep that I'm to share and it seems to be opening up.
    Not here to make it big and I don't want to. I think I don't want to be a plastic, lol! There arn't that many people into re-incarnation. Maybe this is an oppertunity to find something deeper behind our lives here.
    So no to channelling. I did want this at one time and when I felt a loving presence enter half my body, I said no and it went.
    So not ready for this.
    If you meditate for a while and ask yourself what you want to see, sometimes it happens and its so cool! Hope this helps Kj. Sorry for the long message! Thew!
    Time for a coffee,now,lol!
    Lovexx
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate snow.. but it looks beautiful in your pictures.

    I like your splurges... pleasures in the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked your list of ten.

    I can understand you being done with snow. Now, let's hope that snow is done with you. Despite my name, I'm really not into the stuff. I just like the shrub that grows up high where it snows the most and has flowers that are white.

    ReplyDelete