Here are some reasons I love Spring:
1. The first crop to hit the farm stands will be locally grown asparagus. My favorite hole-in-the wall restaurant serves them with homemade dill dressing.
2. OK, I admit photo was taken last summer, but this view from my kitchen window begins to calls my name as soon as i see a snowless ground . I planted these zinnias in May and June last year and we had cut flowers in the house until October. If I were a flower, I might choose to be a zinnia.
3. Hmmm. What do shoes have to do with Spring? Only that I like them more, I am more inclined to buy them, and this particular shoe is the most comfortable you will ever wear. The brand is Rieker and I can tell you they come in orange, green and black. JB, Ces and I all have a pair.
6. One of my favorite pasttimes is to meander along country roads in the Springtime with jb. Since I don't have a photo of us driving, and posting her picture in any form is verboten, here at least is jb's hands, which as you may now know can be found modeling in past editions of Better Homes and Gardens.
7. Shoes again? These belong to two of my good friends. This Spring we'll hit the auction houses and meet at the local farmers' market every week. We'll compare gardenting notes and eat fresh fruit and vegtables together.
8. There could be no better kick - off of Spring than a weekend with this group at the Big Yellow. Last weekend 8 writers and 4 songwriters had quite a time of it. These are the folks who listen, offer loving and helpful feedback, and literally and figuratively help my heart sing.
10. Here's my little farm. Well, it's not a farm at all but my half circle garden off the driveway is plenty sufficient for me to plant all the flowers and vegetables I want. In April I will turn the soil, plant lettuce and probably peas, and then add hearty flowers and herbs until Memorial Day, when the danger of frost is safely past and I can pop in tomatoes and green beans and eggplant and maybe green peppers.
11. I love knowing the sky will still be light after dinner. I feel like I've been given an extra half day just because it stays lighter longer.
12. I love knowing I don't have to deal with snow and driving in snow and being slowed down by snow. I really don't like snow all that much. Really. I don't.
13. This Spring I am very aware of the special wonderful people I deeply, totally, permanently love. I could not feel more fortunate in this regard. Since Springtime and love seem to go together in some new-growth precious way, I want to keep reminding myself that nothing, nothing, nothing matters as much as the people I love.